HomeFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Highwayman

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sailor One
The Recruiter

PostSubject: The Highwayman   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 pm

This is a story idea that had been swimming around in my head for awhile. This is based off of the poem called 'The Highwayman' Written by Alfred Noyes. You never get the full story about the highwayman and the landlord's daughter, Bess. You don't know what happens to the highwayman while he is off on his journey. So I wanted to fill in those blanks. Hope you like it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sailor One
The Recruiter

PostSubject: Re: The Highwayman   Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Prologue

I

The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
And the highwayman came riding—
Riding—riding—
The highwayman came riding, up to the old i
nn-door.

Cameron James was running around his home, a childish smile on his dirtied face. “Mama! Look!” He shouted, his voice colored with glee as he held up one of his fists. His mother was watching from the doorway, her brown curls framing her young face as she bent down and opened up her arms for him to run into.
“What do you have there sweetheart?” She asked, her pink lips were turned up in a warm smile as her son ran into her outstretched arms.
“It’s a frog mommy! Can I keep him!?” He asked, his white teeth showing as his smile turned into a wide grin. He opened up his hand carefully, so as not to scare the frog and make him leap out of his tiny hand. “I’ll take real good care of him!” he promised, giggling as the slimy green toad in his hand croaked loudly. The frog’s round eyes rolled up slightly, as though he was actually trying to make eye contact with the young child who now held him captive in his hand.
His mother laughed softly and stroked his soft golden hair back, one arm wrapped around him gently. “Why don’t you run inside and ask daddy while I go find a box for your frog to sleep in.” she replied, planting a kiss on his cheek before she let him go.
“Alright mommy! I’ll be right back!” he sang, darting past his mother and into the house. He kicked his muddy shoes off and waddled down the hallway, calling out for his father as he did so.
Cameron’s father was sitting upstairs in his study, his black framed glasses lying on the desk as his dark hair was sticking up at several different angles. He let out a heavy sigh as he leaned back in his chair, a tired smile stretching across his handsome features when Cameron came barreling in through the door. “Daddy! Can I keep ‘im!?” he asked, grinning as he crawled up onto his father’s lap and held out his hand.
“Keep what Cam?” he asked with a gentle smile, holding out his hand just as the blond haired child opened his palm and let the frog fall onto his father’s outstretched hand.
“The froggy I found out in the yard!” he replied, hugging his father tightly. “Please daddy? I would take good care of him! I would feed him and take him on walks...and give him baths.”
His father chuckled deeply and nodded, “Yes Cameron, you may keep the frog.” he assured his son.
If smiling could kill, everyone that Cameron knew would be dead. Cameron always smiled and his smiles were contagious. Today something was different. Cameron’s father seemed quieter than usual and the small boy could tell. “Daddy, will you tell me a story?” he asked, snuggling closer to his father as he spoke.
“Which story would you like to hear?” his father asked, the tiny smile on his face stretching out a little as he placed the frog back into his son's hand.
“I want to hear a new story Daddy.” he said, yawning tiredly as he held onto his frog. “But no princesses. I don’t like princesses.”
“Alright, no princesses.” his father promised, his arms wrapped loosely around the small boy in his lap. “I’ll tell you about The Highwayman. Did you know that his name is James? Just like your middle name.”
“Cameron James...” The little boy murmured, his hand moving up to his mouth. His little blue eyes were looking up at his father, curiousity in them. “Please tell me about The Highwayman, daddy.” his thumb went into his mouth and his little lips clamped down around it.
“Alright.” his father said softly, running his hands through the small boy’s hair as he cleared his throat.
“It all started back about a hundred years ago, back when people would farm and take care of animals, back when the people were rebelling against an evil king...back when people carried guns and sent their sons off to war.” He glanced down at Cameron, "There are guns in this story, can you handle that?"

Cameron smiled and nodded, "Yes daddy, now please tell me about James."

With the nod of his head, Cameron's father began to unravel the story about James the Highwayman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Highwayman
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forgotten Realm :: The Theatre of Shadows :: The Writer's Shadow-
Jump to: